Friday, September 6, 2013

Nut Balls

My old roommate Alaina used to make these for me and she got me addicted. They are one of my favorite treats to have on hand and they are relatively healthy. You can usually find a batch of these in my freezer at anytime. They are so much better for you than the usual treats I have sitting around my house like cupcakes and cookies.



INGREDIENTS

Almonds
Olive Oil
Honey
Cocoa
Unsweetened Coconut
tsp Vanilla
Pinch of Salt

I honestly have no idea the amounts you are supposed to use. I always make them to taste and they turn out a little different every time. 

I usually start with about 2 cups finely ground almonds. I poor the almonds into my Blend-tech and put it on level 3 for about 5 seconds and it's already done the job. Stop it before it's complete powder, you want some chunks in it.

I add even amounts of olive oil and honey and about 1/2 cup coconut to the almonds in a large bowl. Your goal is to use enough olive oil and honey that the balls can stick together with out over powering the nut balls  You still want to taste the nut but making them a little sweeter. Also add about 2 TBL of cocoa depending on how chocolaty you want it, and your pinch of salt and vanilla. 

I usually stir with a fork. I try to add as few ingredients as I can so that they stay healthier. Add enough honey and olive oil that they stick together. Keep adding until you can role a ball, and your happy with the taste.

Once they are rolled I put them on a cookie sheet in the freezer. Once fully frozen I transfer to tupperware and leave in freezer to enjoy whenever I need a little treat. I also eat them for breakfast when I'm running late in the morning!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment