Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Black Bean Burger

This isn't the best photo. All I had was my iPhone and it was dark. But know that it tasted really good! Black bean burgers are so tasty! You can eat the patty by itself and its still delicious. I made them for my husband and I and his old roommate one night with the bun and veggies, and then ate just a leftover patty the next day for lunch.


INGREDIENTS

2 slices high-quality which sandwich bread, torn into pieces 
2 cans black beans, rinsed
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1 shallot, minced 

DIRECTIONS

I'm going to give more detailed directions than I usually do because this recipe was easier to mess up than most recipes. I tend to always try to make things healthier and I added extra veggies and less bread crumbs. Don't. It makes the patties fall apart really easily. This recipe is best to follow exact the first time and then make adjustments accordingly the next time you make it.

1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Pulse bread crumbs in food processor to coarse crumbs. Spread crumbs on rimmed baking sheet and bake till golden brown. About 10 min. Let cool to room temperature.

2.Place 2 1/2 cups of the beans in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher until mostly smooth. In separate bowl whisk eggs, 1 TBL oil, cumin, salt, and cayenne pepper.

3.Stir egg mixture, toasted breadcrumbs, remaining 1/2 cup beans, bell pepper, cilantro, and shallot into mashed beans. Divide into 6 patties about 1-inch-thick.

4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Carefully lay patties on skillet and cook until well browned on both sides. 8-10 min.

Serve

These really are delicious and I would recommend trying them. Pair them with sweet potato fries and you won't regret it.

I got this recipe from my sister-in-law Kathryn and its in American Test Kitchen's Healthy Family cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment