Monday, November 29, 2010

Baked Potato Soup

I made this soup tonight and let me tell you, it was delish. There is nothing better than hot soup on an icy night.

Ingredients:

5 large baking potatoes
3/4 cup butter
2/3 cup flour
6 cups milk
1 {8 ounce} package shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 {3 ounce} package real bacon bits {i just fry up my own bacon}
1 bunch fresh green onions, chopped, divided
1 {8 ounce} carton sour cream

Directions:

Cook potatoes in the microwave or bake 1 hour at 400 degrees. Cut potatoes lengthwise, scoop out flesh and save. Discard potato shells.

Melt butter in large soup pot over low heat, add flour and stir until smooth. Gradually add milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Stir in potatoes, half of the cheese, bacon, 2 tablespoons green onions and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until hot, but do not boil.

Stir in sour cream and cook until just hot. Spoon into soup bowls and sprinkle with remaining cheese and green onions over each serving.

When making this recipe for 2-3 people I half it. I served my soup with popovers...recipe coming soon! Enjoy!

3 comments: