Saturday, October 23, 2010

Healthy Bran Muffins

When eating these you really have to remember that they are actually pretty good for you. If you think of them as a yummy muffin, you may be disappointed. Most people I have made these for love them and some don't. I personally really like them but I eat rather healthy, and have a really high fiber diet. I like them after I work out because they are good for me and still a treat.


1 cup all purpose flour (whole wheat pastry flour)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cup wheat bran
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
6 tbsp honey (about 1/3 cup)
2 cups buttermilk (1 cup milk + 1 tbsp lemon, let it sit for a min. or so)
1 egg beaten
3 tbsp melted butter (applesauce)

add cinnamon, brown sugar, nutmeg, flaxseed meal to your liking
(maybe substitute 1/4 bran for flaxseed if you like it)
1 tbsp cinnamon? less nutmeg than that. I use a lot of cinnamon.

If I'm feeling super weird I add protein powder, then these can be a good recovery snack after a tough workout.

Add dry ingredients, add wet ingredients together, then mix them.

Heat oven to 350 degrees, cook about 15-20 min. Most likely 15.

Calories: 82, Fat: 2.1
(That is before my substitutions. So with them I'm sure it's a lot less.)

My substitutions are in parenthesis, they are either because they are
easier or healthier. I've never actually made them how the recipe is is supposed to be made. They may turn out completely different.



I usually make some with chocolate chips, some with raisin's and walnuts, 
and leave some plain and eat with jam or honey. My favorite is plain and eaten with jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment