Sunday, May 1, 2011

Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


I gave my first attempt today at making vegan cookies. I've made healthier cookies plenty of times but never vegan. I was inspired by some really delicious vegan cupcakes I've had recently. 

The result was delicious, and very unique. These cookies are a different flare to them than most you are used to. I would definitely recommend trying these even if you don't care about them being vegan.



Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups toasted walnuts
2 cups oats
3/4 cup white Kamut flour (I used wheat pastry flour)
1/2 cup Sucanat (I used brown sugar)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
2 tbsp almond milk
3.5 tbsp coconut oil
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup raisins

I used brown sugar and wheat pastry flour since they are both easier to come by.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 F

Place walnuts on baking sheet. Toast walnuts in oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden in color. What carefully so they don't burn. When done, remove and let cool for a few minutes. Dump Walnuts into food processor and process until finely ground, no more.

In medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, 1 cup oats, cinnamon, and brown sugar or sucanat. Add dry ingredients to food processor and process for 20-30 seconds. 

In small bowl add coconut oil and microwave to soften. In same bowl stir in maple syrup, almond mild, and vanilla.

Mix both bowls together.

Add remaining 1 cup of oats stirring by hand, and fold in 2/3 cup of raisins. Make small balls of dough and flatten with hand.

Bake for 10 minutes at 350 F. Makes 16 large cookies.
I also used dark chocolate chips on half the batch instead of raisins because who doesn't love chocolate chips.
Thanks ohsheglows.com for this delicious and unique recipe. 

1 comment: